Wednesday, July 16, 2014

The urban myth


We charge an exorbitant amount of money just to put our seal and signature on your document
I hear this quite frequently, so let me explain.

First, just like any business or services (whether it is food, apparel or healthcare), we have to ensure we earn enough from each transaction to cover our costs. Simply put, it costs over $30,000 from the beginning of the application process all the way to the point we get our commissions. We are also required to pay annual membership and insurance fees, as well as overhead costs such as lease, staffing, accounting services, continuing legal education, taxes, equipment, utilities, etc.  Of course, we have bills to pay - just like you, our client.

Second, as you would with any purchase decisions, you are welcome to get quotes from other notaries or lawyers for the service you required. We try to price competitively, but of course, it would be up to you, the consumer, to decide who you choose to use.

Third, and most important of all, we are not merely seeing you sign a document, and applying our seals. In the event anyone question the authenticity of the document, or question whether you had the mental capacity to sign the document, we are called to task to courts, or other government agencies to justify our actions. You might believe you are signing a “simple” document, but as legal professionals, we look at the document to ensure there are no serious deficiencies in drafting, the document is reasonably appropriate for the result you wanted to achieve, and most importantly, you understand what you are signing. If you present us a document that is poorly drafted (i.e. Do-It-Yourself kits or online templates that are not appropriate), we simply will not notarize the document.

Imagine this: You signed a particular document in front of me, for which its authenticity is later questioned. You have died in the interim – who would be called to court to testify the document was signed properly? I do. As required by the rules of my regulator, I am required to keep copies of the signed document for a length of time (from 2 years, up to 10 years after your death, depending on the nature of the document). [1] As such, there are costs involved – storing/retrieving the documents, time away from my office, and the preparation needed before attending the inquires.

In summary, my professional dues, overhead costs and liabilities contribute to my pricing structure. You, as the consumer, are free to decide whether my service fits your needs.


[1]  Rule 17 of the Society of Notaries Public of British Columbia

1 comment:

  1. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. mobile notary public woodland hills

    ReplyDelete